Tomorrow afternoon we will be participating in this year’s Terry Fox Run. Students are encouraged to bring in a loonie or toonie to donate to cancer research. We will be running outside rain or shine so please help your child prepare for that.
Also tomorrow is our Welcome Back event from 5:30-6:30pm. We will all gather, again regardless of the weather, as a community on the field by the rocks, followed by a few minutes for your child to show you the classroom, then back outside for games with the staff and PAC BBQ.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Here are a few housekeeping items to keep in mind for this year:
- Please pop into the office to update your volunteer driver documents. We have some fun field trips that we are working on and will need to have all of this paperwork complete to make that possible!
- If your child is going to be late or absent please call the office 250.598.5191 ext 1 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and cc me. If your child will be away for an extended absence, please let the office know and they can mark you away for the whole time period at once.
- On that note, please try and make it to school on time. Our day starts with agenda and partner reading as soon as we come in the door. It helps to set the tone and get us all on the same page for the day when we are all here to get started in the morning. If for some reason your child is late, please drop them at the office where they can collect a late slip and make their way up to the classroom on their own.
- In order to ensure everyone’s safety, parents/guardians are reminded to sign in at the office when they come into the school during class hours. Please do not bring forgotten lunches, agendas, etc. to the classroom. Instead, go to the office and they will make sure that the items are given to your child in a timely manner. If you pick up your child during class time for an appointment, please check in the office and they will call down your child. Thank you for your cooperation.
- In grade two, students begin eating their recess snack outside during playtime so please send something that is easily portable or in its own container. There are no allergies limiting foods in our classroom this year but there are outside.
Our school’s recycling capacities are limited so we encourage as little waste as possible. Anything that we cannot recycle or compost will be sent back to be properly disposed of at home.
As a general rule, we do not share food or bring treats to school. Please keep that in mind, especially around birthday times. Stickers are a popular alternative 🙂
Thanks for your attention to these habits that help keep our school days running smoothly!
Welcome back for our first full week of grade 2! It has been wonderful meeting you and catching up with familiar faces over the last week. I am enjoying getting to know your children and I see a great year ahead of us!
Last week I sent agendas home. Daily messages will often communicate general reminders or share what we are working on in the classroom, feel free to use this to prompt a discussion with your child about their day. The cost for each agenda is $6.35, please pay online at: https://sd61.schoolcashonline.com/
Some students still had their pochette from last year, which is wonderful! I handed out new ones today to those who needed them, for which we would appreciate a donation of $2 (cash sent to the classroom is fine). Thank you for your support in learning to keep ourselves organized.
Please note: No student will be denied educational opportunities due to hardship. If this is a concern please contact Mr. Johnson. Your confidentiality will be respected.
Finally, September’s Scholastic order came home this morning. I have explained to the students that purchasing books is entirely up to you. Please take a few moments to explore the selection together and let your child help choose books he or she is excited to read. When children choose their own books to read for pleasure, they enjoy reading more and spend more time doing it!
Scholastic Reading Club flyers are made for you and your child to shop for books your child will love to read. Each month, the flyers are filled with quality children’s books that are just right for your child’s reading level and interests. Plus your order helps our classroom earn FREE books and resources!
Once you’ve made your selections, there are two ways to order:
- Submit your order to me and pay by credit card or PayPal online at http://www.scholastic.ca/canadaclubs and your online order will be sent to me automatically.
- Return the paper order form to me with a cheque made out to Scholastic Canada.
Please let me know if your order includes a gift for your child, and I will contact you when it arrives! Thank you for supporting your child’s reading success both at home and in the classroom!
Wow that was long, thanks for taking the time to read through it all!
Bonjour and welcome to the blog! Thanks for “following” to keep up to date on all of the fun that we are going to have in Division 14 this year!
Well dear families, we have made it to the end of the year! Thank you for the countless ways that you have supported us this school year; field trips, nightly reading, conversations about managing our feelings and solving problems, and so much more! Our learning is so much richer when we share it with others.
Thank you also for your generous gifts and kind words. I feel so lucky to have spent this year with this group of curious and engaged kids, we have had lots of fun and grown so much!
We had a visit last week from a librarian at the Oak Bat branch of the GVPL. He let us know all about their summer reading program and reminded the kids of the selection of French books at the library!
Another great way to keep up on French reading this summer is through the School House Summer Reading Program. More info can be found here: Trousses de Lectures françaises flyer June 2019
Thank you again for an absolutely lovely year, I hope you have a safe and restful summer 🙂
Just a reminder that we are heading out first thing in the morning for our field trip to IMAX and Beacon Hill Park so it’s important to be on time for school tomorrow.
The forecast says that it might not be quite so hot tomorrow, which is great! Please make sure that your child has their booster seat plus the following in their backpack:
- appropriate clothing for the day (including good shoes)
- a pocket snack and picnic lunch
- water bottle
Thanks for getting permission and payment in this week. Just a few more to go, here’s the form in case you misplaced it: Imax field trip
I also need some more seats so if it’s at all possible that you could drive, even just to drop off and pick up again or just drive your own child, please let me know.
Thanks and have a great weekend!
It seems that I neglected to explicitly state that we needed booster seats for today’s field trip, oops!!
If you are not driving your own child and you are able to bring their booster to school this morning, that would be great! Please just bring it up and leave it in the hall outside the classroom. No problem if not, the school has some and there may be a couple extras in the cars that are going.
Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience!
Thanks for getting those swimming permission forms in so quickly, here it is one more time if you haven’t gotten that in yet: Swimming Letter 2019
Thanks also to everyone who volunteered to join us, we have enough spots for everyone already! I will send out an email to drivers next week with the documents that need to be updated.
If you are having trouble with payment, it is possible that you already paid in March when Jess set up payment for all classes that would be going swimming throughout the spring. Please check with Jess if you are not sure.
Finally, thank you for sending kids with hats, sunscreen and spill-proof water bottles so that we can enjoy this warm, sunny weather. Please remember to also make sure that your child has proper footwear (ie: no sandals please) to participate in all of our indoor and outdoor activities.
Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!
Thank you so much for taking the time to come and join us in the classroom, we had so much fun sharing our learning with you!
Thank you also for helping out with and supporting the Scholastic Book Fair in the library. Ms. Maddern says it was a huge success!
Here is a fun event happening this weekend: https://www.pise.ca/family-sport-rec-festival/
And if you have a chance, take a walk by the school yard Garry Oak trees to see the flowers we planted start to bloom!
Have a great weekend!